Friday, August 6, 2010

Summer Cooking

It has been a hot summer!  I have avoided turning on the stove as much as I can.  We have been eating mostly simple grilled meats with grilled, raw or steamed vegetables. 

There have been a few exceptions to the above mentioned and my favorite has been the No-Knead Oat Bread recipe I found from King Arthur.  It makes a huge loaf of bread that is very tasty.  DaGirl is happy to snack on plain slices of the fresh bread.  I really like the bread lightly toasted with a smear of peanut butter and a touch of jelly for breakfast, or a couple of thinner slices make a great sandwich.  I think I want to add some raisins to the next loaf of Oat Bread that I make.

Another of my favorite meals was an eggplant dish based on a simple Eggplant Parmesan recipe. I added a couple of cups of diced tomatoes to the bottom of the casserole dish, which made it a very saucy dish.  I also added some ricotta cheese to the center filling.  I may have used a little extra mozzarella since the kids love cheese.  This was severed with thin spaghetti (aka worms) and salad.  The one thing I would like to try is grilling the eggplant instead of baking it.       

We have also done a little canning.  The plum tree in the yard is very giving this year and after picking almost 18 pounds of fruit a few nights ago we set to making plum jam.  Due to some logistical problems and miscommunications DaGoof and I canned nearly a dozen jars of plum sauce which is delicious on top of vanilla ice cream, maybe this weekend we will try the sweet stuff on top of some pancakes.  I also have a couple of plummy recipes from the book Put 'Em Up by Sherri Brooks Vinton.

No comments:

Post a Comment