Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hit or Miss?

Wednesday was a busy evening.  I knew it would be so I stuck a pot roast in the crock pot.  I thought it was an ok dinner.  I was alone in this opinion, so there was a lot of leftovers.  DaGoof proclaimed dinner to be "blander than what DaKids are used to."

Thursday night I decided to be a little creative.  The leftovers were diced up and turned into and Italian style beef and barley soup.  The kids shoveled the soup into their little mouths, and my dad who was visiting ate 2 bowls.  I guess the soup was better than pot roast.

Italian Style Beef and Barley Soup

1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
14 ounce can diced tomatoes
14 ounce can beef broth
2 cups water
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
pinch of ground red pepper 1 cup barley
2 - 3 cups diced beef, and vegetables (leftovers)
In a large dutch oven saute the fresh vegetables and garlic until they start to get tender.  Add diced tomatoes and liquids, bring to boil.  Add seasonings and barley reduce heat to simmer.  Simmer for about 45 minutes.  Toss in leftovers heat until everything is heated through and enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment